- What is the GI?
- A food's GI indicates how its carbs will affect your blood stream during digestion.
- What effect do foods with a high GI have on our bodies?
- The quicker (higher GI) carbs turn into glucose, the quicker your insulin level will spike. High insulin levels is a bad situation if you are trying to lose body fat since fat loss cannot occur in the presence of high insulin levels. Instead high insulin levels could promote fat storage!
- Benefits of eating low GI foods
- Food with low GI suppresses your appetite.
- Provides more energy stable levels since the blood sugar is better controlled.
- And this one is my favorite! It allows you to eat more without body fat storage.
** Every time you eat a protein with a carbohydrate the total GI of the meal will go down since protein is a very complex molecule and thus slows down the digestion of the carb. Fats also have this effect. So if you consume high GI food make sure you pair it with a protein.Here's what a low GI food pyramid would look like!
What are your thoughts on food's GI?
Before I read Jillian's book I had no idea what glycemic index was! But I find that without knowing most of the time I do follow a low GI diet.